Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Banana Caramel Cream Cheese Bars

So this is what I was trying to make last week when I accidentally mixed stuff together and ended up making banana nut muffins. I decided to give it another try and I'm glad I did.

There is something about bananas and caramel together I love. The top layer is like a yummy cream cheese frosting over a nutty oatmeal cookie base. Hope you enjoy it.

Shelly's Banana Caramel Cream Cheese Bars

1/4 cup Raw Almonds, ground
1/2 cup Steel Cut Oatmeal
1/4 cup Soy Flour (7 g. of protein per 1/4 cup)
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
dash of Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel)
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter
1 Egg, beaten
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/3 cup Nuts, chopped (I used Pecans & Walnuts)
3 oz. Cream Cheese
1 Banana, mashed
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Caramel Sauce (I used Smucker's)

Preheat oven to 350. Mash banana and mix into cream cheese set aside. In a mini food processor whiz almonds, 1/4 cup of the oats, soy flour, 1 scoop of the protein powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt till fine. Add Torani syrup and whiz again. In a separate dish beat egg, vanilla and almond butter together. Combine both. Add additional scoop of protein, the other 1/4 cup of oats and nuts. Spread the oatmeal batter into a parchment paper lined Pyrex dish (8x7). Spread banana cream cheese over oat base.

Drizzle caramel over top and swirl with a spoon. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Allow to cool and cut into bars. Keep refrigerated.

Highlights of the day:

* Got some lovely emails regarding my "H is for..." post. It's so cool to have people in your life that just "get it." Thank you!

* Went on a walk then for coffee where I lusted after a hottie. No, I didn't get the digits. I get no play in Cali. NY guys would have got my number. They don't let opportunities pass them by. Well... most NY guys ;) with one MAJOR exception.

* After coffee I went to Costco to buy a few things and ate lunch at the "Costco Buffet" I'm such a cheap date. I love it. One of the samples was of a yummy Angus Beef Burger stuffed with Blue Cheese I'm going to try to duplicate. I bought "The Bucket List" which I never did see in the theater. Sounds like sometime this weekend popcorn and a good cry will be on the agenda.

Listening to: "Oldest Story In The World" The Plimsouls (Best Break-up Song Ever)


Aims said...

Mmmmm, looks great and can't wait to try it!

Lorie from NC said...

These sound yummy! Thanks so much for the daily inspiration. I'm 8 weeks out and was having one of those "OMG WTH did I do to myself" kinda weeks. Reading your blog has reminded me to hang in there. You are GREATLY appreciated! Have a fabulous weekend.

cschoen said...

I try to stay away from baking, but I'm SO going to have to make these. My mother-in-law used to make a banana cake which was good, but with a frosting that was to DIE for! This kind of reminds me of that recipe.

Jinkers (OH) said...

I heart burgers with blue cheese! I always make my burger stuffed with blue - keeps it really moist. Never tried the ones from Costco.... yet
You are gonna love Bucket List...
:) kelly

Pamela R said...

OMG those have everything I love in them. I'm going to have to give them a try!

Cindy said...

Your site is absolutely awesome! I posted a comment on Charlie's blog, which then led me to yours...this is awesome! I had lapband surgery a month ago and know that my "food world" has changed forever!

Thanks for all your support!


Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this one. I have to tell you I had a church social last night and made a large of your Mexican meatloaf recipe, and your chocolate peanut butter pie to take as my contribution, so I knew there would be something I could eat. It went over big!! Everyone loved both dishes and couldn't believe the pie was sugar free!! You are the best. Thanks for all you do.

Aims said...

I'm making this tonight to take to a wine tasting!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad someone told me about your site - Im a former fatty too and thanks to the Lapband I have my life back and a big loser of 100 and now competitive female bodybuilder - Im always looking for lean ways to up my protein without adding fat and carbs - ur recipes look amazing (esp the carmel bars and ice-cream!) Thanks for posting!!!!

Carrie said...

I was wondering when you put protein powders in your recipes and you put one scoop or two that one serving of your protein powder. I use a packet of protein and one packet mixes with 8oz of liquid so when i make the recipes, I was wondering how much protein powder I should use???

Michelle "Shelly" said...

My SEI Max or Ultimate scoop is 30 g - 35 g. = 22 g. protein, the CLICK one is slightly smaller... I make no adjustment. If yours is slightly bigger or smaller it won't really effect most recipes (shakes, ice cream, etc. ) only time to worry is like a cake or muffins and even then not so much.

Angelina said...

I am a lazy cook. I so wish you're yummy foods we're sold in stores. Im always telling my husband that I don't understand how there isn't more specifically baratric targeted foods in stores. Only really online. If i could go to walmart and buy the stuff you make I would probably die of happiness!

Dee said...

I made these yesterday they are so good! I made my own almond paste the other day it almost broke my food processor (overheated)